2014 Worlds in Melbourne
19th September 2013 at 11:26am #1068
At the risk of volunteering for a job I don’t want, who is planning to go to the 2014 Worlds in Melbourne?
Please sign up below so we have some idea of numbers.19th September 2013 at 12:40pm #6898DaveBourneParticipant
it couldn’t be organised by a better person, and national champion to boot!!!
count me in Robert19th September 2013 at 5:23pm #6899burtParticipant
i plan on going but hoping to charter19th September 2013 at 6:08pm #6900tom lonsdaleParticipant
count me in too!20th September 2013 at 8:26am #690120th September 2013 at 7:18pm #6902NickCraigParticipant
Good on you for getting the ball rolling!
I was hoping to lose my job and have a nice long break in Australia but that is unfortunately (the wife disagrees!) looking unlikely. So I’ll have to be at work then and probably miss the OK Worlds for the 1st time in 18 years
However, I very much look forward to doing the Bloody Mary and other freezing winter pursuits while you all sun yourselves in Oz!
Nick21st September 2013 at 10:04am #6903leechParticipant
Yeah hoping too Robert! It’s not that far away is it….?20th November 2013 at 11:47pm #6904
Are there any more takers?
Rumour has it Gav wants to go, maybe Keith (?), and simon D which makes 8
Need 4 more to fill a container.21st November 2013 at 1:25pm #6905
Out of interest, is there any selection criteria that needs to be met?21st November 2013 at 3:42pm #6906
yes, the selection criteria is quite strict
1. Ability to drink Australian beer without grimacing
2. Bottomless sense of humour
3. Can commit with an early cash deposit
4. Unlikely to pull out at last minute because your goldfish looks unwell and has gone yellow around the gills
5. Don’t go on holiday the week we will pack the container
6. Remember to turn up for the first race
7. Can cope with more fun in 10 days than is really good for you
8. Can reasonably expect your boat to stay in one piece for more than one day at a time
9. Don’t get locals to fix your boat while you go off drinking and forget to check it’s been done properly before sailing the next day
10. Don’t offer to pay for something for someone else you had not bargained on doing yourself
Seriously the purpose of this is to see who wants to go so those who do can commit early, reserve a place, book cheaper flights and accommodation and plan ahead. If we get 16 people wanting to go we may need to use qualifiers but I don’t think we have had to select a team for a down under championship ever.
As far as I’m concerned if you book and pay then you are in and the first 12 deposits secure a place, as we did for Thailand. Those who are going will probably want to start booking flights early in the new year to get the best deals, so we’ll probably have to decide then what we are going to do.21st November 2013 at 7:16pm #6907
I gather a number of the aforementioned criteria have come into effect since Thailand? (Ahem.)21st November 2013 at 7:31pm #6908NickCraigParticipant
Rule 11. Don’t take a public bath just because Fish has agreed to fund it!23rd November 2013 at 9:16pm #6909burtParticipant
Rule 12 don’t be ashamed about having a great time! no matter what happens…..23rd November 2013 at 9:29pm #6910leechParticipant
And don’t be the bloke in Burt’s flying fish post18th January 2014 at 2:45pm #6911
Just pushing this back to the top. 11 months to go, boats must leave late September / early October
As yet we don’t even have enough boats for a 20 footer
Burt (unless he charters)
I’ve heard rumours of others but nothing definite.
- The forum ‘Gossip – View only’ is closed to new topics and replies.